New York Nine

Baseball the way it was meant to be, down and dirty with brutally honest analysis

Thursday, January 15, 2009

Baseball, baseball, everywhere





























I was actually going to write about something else, but I happened to turn on the TV and behold one of the my favorite baseball movies was on, Major League (it's not my favorite, I have a definitive list in my head, but that's for another day). When you think about this movie its really so ridiculous, it came out in 1989 and it is every bit a product of the 80s from the cheesy music all over, the bad hair styles, corny lines and a sappy ending, but the movie is better than people give it credit. I mean you have a great cast, from Tom Berenger at his badass zenith coming off movies like Platoon (if he had that scar all the time that would be even more badass) and Born on the Fourth of July, Charlie Sheen at top of his game, both acting and hairstyle wise, Corbin Bernsen who plays an excellent movie douchebag, not to mention an young Welsey Snipes and Dennis Haysbert (I couldn't watch 24 without thinking "I say fuck you joubu I do it myself") , and a still hot Rene Russo. That's a hell of a cast for a a movie about the freaking Indians. And of course you have the incomprable Bob Uecker in all his drunken glory giving you the play by play throughout. I mean you put all those together and how could you not have an awesome movie? If you haven't seen this movie somehow I strongly reccomend renting it, seeing it on Comedy Central or some other network just really takes away from the delightful raunchy-ness of this film. And yet at the core of the movie, once you get past the 80s-ness of it its a well done baseball movie with some hilarious moments in the locker room and on the field, all culminating in a dramatic and ultimately satsifying finale complete with some intense slow-mo camera and some great twists and turns. There is also two sequels to this movie, each successively worse than the previous one, but you have to see this movie if you're a real baseball fan because its just plain fun to watch. Nothing like a little baseball, albeit fake baseball to let me forget that its ten degrees out still.

0 comments:

Post a Comment